“Creative Innovation” is the theme for Global Recycling Day 2023, celebrated Saturday March 18 this year. Now, in its fifth year, this annual event seeks to recognize the importance of recycling around the world and encourage efforts to increase recycling globally.
Global Recycling Foundation Establishes Global Recycling Day
The United Nations recognized Global Recycling Day in 2018. At that time, the Global Recycling Foundation established the goals of the annual commemorative day. These goals include increasing awareness of the importance of recycling, encouraging people to take action to reduce waste and help the environment and showing appreciation to those who recycle. The annual observance calls on individuals, organizations, and governments to promote and highlight the benefits of recycling.
This year will be the fourth year in a row for a Global Recycling Day contest to award a “Recycling Hero.” The theme of this year’s contest is “Creative Innovation.” The competition is open to individuals, business owners, sole traders, multinational businesses, towns, cities or other entities that have “continued to recycle during one of the toughest economic periods.” The Foundation explains, “While we all have had to tighten our belts, the need for creative innovation in how we can recycle our waste stream is greater than ever. Every penny saved in the way we use and discard our commercial and domestic waste is vital.”
On Global Recycling Day people are encouraged to learn more about what can and can not be recycled, which may be different in various municipalities, and how to properly dispose of items that are difficult to recycle, including hazardous materials. People are also encouraged to volunteer at community cleanups and properly dispose of recyclables.
Benefits of Recycling
On Global Recycling Day people are encouraged to share these benefits of recycling:
- Reduces the use of raw materials needed to create new products.
- Conserves natural resources because new raw materials do not have to be mined, extracted or harvested.
- Cuts back on energy and water consumption that would be otherwise used to manufacture new material.
- Keeps waste out of landfills.
In advancing the goal of sharing information about recycling, advocates of Global Recycling Day assembled some of these recycling facts:
- The world’s most recycled item is aluminum. More than 50 percent of the world’s aluminum cans are recycled.
- Glass can be continually recycled without losing its integrity or quality.
- Papers can be reborn in a week. It could take just seven days for magazines and newspapers to be recycled into new ones.
- As a $200 billion industry, recycling supports some 500,000 jobs in the U.S. alone.
- Recycling preserves fresh water up to 95 percent more when compared to water used in making brand new products.
Appreciating Those Who Recycle
ScrapWare Corporation has provided and serviced software for the scrap metal recycling industry for nearly 35 years. ScrapWare recognizes and applauds the efforts of its customers to conserve resources and improve the environment through the business of scrap metal recycling. ScrapWare looks forward to supporting its scrap metal recycling customers for decades to come!
About ScrapWare Corporation: Since 1989, Rockville, Maryland-based ScrapWare Corporation has been the software of choice for the recycling industry. Its ease of installation and simplicity saves users time and money while helping them achieve compliance and maintain accurate business insights. With state-of-the-art functionality that‘s tailored to each organization’s unique requirements, ScrapWare is an advanced dynamic software solution that alleviates the most pressing recycling industry worries. For more information, please call (301) 517-8500 or visit https://www.scrapware.com/.